Brief History of the School

Jaffna Central College was found on first of August 1816 by Rev. James Lynch and Rev. Thomas Squance with the vision of producing students of the best and highest standards for the glory of god. This is what we understand by the motto of our college; “IN GLORIAM DEL OPTIMI MAXIMI.”  In order to achieve this vision, Centralites undertake the mission of moulding and shaping characters of young people who are the life blood of the society. So far, their successors have succeeded in this formidable task. Their first and foremost achievement is School to all social strata irrespective of caste, creed or race and thereby paving the way for the underprivileged and downtrodden to enter into the portal of English education which was denied at that time to the poor. This revolutionary move in the sphere of education brought many changes in the Jaffna society. It is a fact that Jaffna Central College was the pioneer institution which produced intellectuals who helped in no small way in fighting. Intake of Sinhalese, Muslim and Burgher students to this school enabled the Jaffna youth to get socialized. The Cordial relationship that had existed between Rev. Peter Percival and SriLaSri Arumuganavalar symbolized religious secularism. This even led to the translation of bible into Tamil by an ardent Hindu for the first time in the annals of history. Dr. Ethirweerasingam, a student of Central, excelled in high jump at the Asian games. This bears ample testimony to the fact. Jaffna Central provided an all-round education